[Winpcap-users] libwpcap.a

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Wed Dec 14 16:37:57 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ouroborus" <ouroborus at softhome.net>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 8:22 PM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] libwpcap.a

> >I downloaded WpdPack_3_1.zip from www.winpcap.org today. As far as I can
>> tell, pcap_findalldevs_ex isn't in the included libraries.
>
> F:\Xfer\WpdPack_3_1\dofus>gcc -O -I ../Include -o dcap.exe dcap.c -L
> ../Lib -lwpcap -lwsock32
>
> D:\DOCUME~1\OUROBO~1\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccm2caaa.o(.text+0xe2):dcap.c:
> undefined reference to `pcap_findalldevs_ex'
>

> So far I've figured out that the GNUmakefile that builds the library isn't
> set up to build with the remote extensions. I'm guessing that this file is
> the same that's used to make the cygwin related precompiled libraries and
> that's why some of the functions aren't there.

Yes, it is.

> Any idea what should be added to fix GNUmakefile?

Well, the main problem with the compilation under Cygnus is that this
environment is lacking some of the IPv6 new socket APIs (basically
getnameinfo(), for WinPcap), that are used by WinPcap with the remote
extensions. As far as I know, the only way to have (some of) the new IPv6
socket APIs under cygnus is using this patch

http://win6.jp/Cygwin/

which is not official, or providing a custom implementation of getnameinfo()
in the WinPcap sources (like we have for other functions inside
winpcap\wpcap\libpcap\Win32\Src).

After that, you should be enough to modify the GNUMakefile to:
- define "HAVE_REMOTE" and "WPCAP"
- compile sockutils.c, pcap-remote.c, pcap-new.c

If someone provide such patches, I would be more than happy to commit them
to the proper CVS source trees (either the WinPcap or the libpcap one).