[Winpcap-users] Using Packet.dll in an 'not-admin' session

Eduardo Escudero Sánchez edu.kungfu at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 06:41:54 GMT 2006

As Far as i know the PacketGetAdapterNames function looks inside the
registry all the entries concerning to network adapters in the system and
this action looks like one which needs privileges i think, and which has
nothing in common with the starting of the NPF driver.
OK the C code can't throw any exception to my C# code but the C++ code i'm
using does. I will explain myself: i don't use the Packet.dll library
directly pinvoking it from my C sharp code. What i have done is making an
auxiliar C++ dll to manage directly the Packet.dll API and export some easy
pinvokable functions to my Csharp code. So i use the packet.dll API through
an auxiliar C++ dll, which was more  easy for me than trying pinvoking
directly the API.
Im using Packet.dll because this API has some functions i need to retrieve
network adapter information, for example, the packetgetpacket function to
retrieve information about the number of frames received or the number of
frames received with collision, etc...
I think that this exception is being launched when the API tries to read the
registry in a not-privileged account.