[Winpcap-users] multi-NICs with the same name in Win98

David Chang dchang at fsautomation.com
Fri Nov 3 03:57:31 GMT 2006

I don't use Win98, but here's my device name:

\Device\NPF_{8A71110E-38F4-4A4F-8410-AA020526B348}

Thus, I don't think Winpcap uses descriptive names, but rather low-level
device names (found in the registry).  If you look at the low-level device
name for your 3 interfaces, I think you'll find that they're all different.

Here's a quick and dirty way to find out Winpcap device names...

int main(void)
{
        pcap_if_t *alldevs;
        pcap_if_t *d;
        int cnt;
        char errbuf[PCAP_ERRBUF_SIZE];

        /* Retrieve the device list */
        if (pcap_findalldevs(&alldevs, errbuf) == -1)
        {
                fprintf(stderr,"Error in pcap_findalldevs: %s\n", errbuf);
                exit(1);
        }

        /* Print the list */
        cnt = 0;
        d = alldevs;
        while (d != NULL)
        {
                cnt++;
                printf("%3d.  Device: %s\n", cnt, d->name);
                if (d->description)
                        printf("     Comment: %s\n", d->description);

                d = d->next;
        }

        exit(0);
}

NOTE: you'll need to include the appropriate winpcap header files (I wrote
this for libpcap).

DC