[Winpcap-users] winpcap device list "emtpy"

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Wed Nov 29 16:13:26 GMT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Marschalkowski" <grinch at itg-em.de>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 11:53 PM
Subject: AW: [Winpcap-users] winpcap device list "emtpy"

> No, first I did a reinstall of 3.1, changed nothing. Then I installed
> 4.0b2,
> the name of the generic dialup adapter changed, but still no other devices
> listed.
> I don't get any error messages, neither on installation or deinstallation
> nor when I run my program or WinDump, they just don't list the devices.
>
> I've just checked the antivirus log, but no virus found since installation
> (4 months ago). ATM winpcap3.1 is installed and a very deep virus scan is
> running with logging set to high, but this could take a while ;)
> AntiVirus Software installed is VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0 (McAfee).
>
> Is there any registry value or something that pcap checks to filter the
> device list?

No.

Please try this:

1. open a command prompt
2. type "net start npf". It should tell you than the netgroup packet filter
is either running or has been started.

Then, please send a bug report as explained here:

http://www.winpcap.org/bugs.htm

Please use WinPcap 4.0beta2 for the bug report, as the logs are much more
complete.