[Winpcap-users] no upgrade possible without freezes

Alto Speckhardt 1603 at gmx.de
Wed Oct 11 07:34:57 GMT 2006

Hi,

I still have to use WinPCap v3.1 beta 4 together with Ethereal
v0.10.12 on my Windows XP machine(s). I cannot upgrade either one of
them or the system will freeze when I start sniffing in Ethereal
(usually the second time I click "Start", the first time often works
all right.) We're talking a total freeze here, no more mouse movement,
no more reaction on keyboard controls (caps etc.).

Only the described combination works, not even the next beta of
WinPCap. Also, newer versions of Etheral/Wireshark still cause the
system to crash even with WinPCap v3.1/b4. All the machines have
something else in common, they are running Kerio Personal Firewall
v2.1.5 which I cautiously suspect to somehow participate in the
problem. Even if so, removing it is obviously not an option.

I read that WinPCap changed the used version of libcap between v3.1/b4
and /b5. Is this likely to be the problem and can it be solved?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Alto Speckhardt
mailto:1603 at gmx.de