[Winpcap-users] Windows Installer package info?

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Jun 26 19:28:18 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Strader" <als10 at platinumnibbles.net>
To: "Winpcap Users" <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>; "Winpcap Users"
<winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 11:47 AM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] Windows Installer package info?

> Here is my issue.  Any software installed on a workstation here must go
> through our certification process.  For an application to be
> 'certified', it must be able t be installed via the windows installer
> server with only the basic user interface (a progress bar and cancel
> button).  Since the application and Winpcap installations are not
> windows installer packages, our certification group has created a "snap
> shot" install package.  The original application install contains and
> run the Winpcap 3.1 installer.

Do you mean that it uses the original WinPcap 3.1 installer, in any case?

> What is happening is that the New installer package works on our base
> OS image.  But, from what I can tell, if any other app adds either a new
> network driver (i.e. our VPN client) then the machine looses it existing
> network interfaces and they can not be redefined.

Does the same thing happen with WinPcap 4.0? WinPcap 3.1 had several bugs
regarding adapters listing that were fixed in WinPcap 4.0.

> So, what I am looking for is information on how the existing installer
> works or how / where I can get a windows installer packaged version)

The sources of the WinPcap installer are not public, and we do not provide
details on how the installer works.
If you absolutely need to repackage WinPcap within your application, you
might also think of moving to WinPcap professional, details at

http://www.cacetech.com/products/winpcap_professional.htm

Finally, consider that WinPcap 3.1 is obsolete. We do not provide any
support for it, it is still available on our website for archival reasons.

Hope it helps
GV