[Winpcap-users] HTTP forwarding

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Mon May 21 10:05:45 GMT 2007

Hi Izack,

Windows Media Server can pull a stream from an encoder (or another server) and distribute it to
multiple
clients.  Although free (beer), it requires Windows Server 2003 or later to run, so it's not a cheap
solution
for casual use.

VideoLAN http://www.videolan.org/ is open source and can do the same thing.  It does not support
recent Windows Media formats, but does support other high quality codecs such as H.264.  It's
possible
that you could make it work with WMV9, when used solely as a repeater.

If you want to write your own, IMO it would be simpler to write a proxy that would fetch the stream
from the server and allow both local and remote clients to connect.  This could use a normal socket
interface and would avoid the complexities of packet capture.  You could start with an open source
proxy
and modify it to meet your need.

--Stewart