[Winpcap-users] The other host terminated the connection.

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Mon Oct 8 16:41:13 GMT 2007

FYI: the error string you have in the subject line here is not the real
error...

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 02:22:31PM +0200, David Sch?ler wrote:
> rpcapd # ./rpcapd -n
> Press CTRL + C to stop the server...
> bind(): Address already in use (code 98)

This is the real error.  rpcapd was never able to bind to whichever
local port it normally uses, because some other program was already
either listening on that port, or had used that port to connect to some
other machine.

Since I don't know which port rpcapd normally listens on, I'm not sure
how to fix this.  However, the winpcap sources have a constant named
RPCAP_DEFAULT_NETPORT whose value is 2002 -- I suspect that's the
default port number.  You probably have to find out what's using port
2002 on your rpcapd machine (netstat is helpful here if you're on Linux,
or sysinternals' tcpview if you're on windows), and kill it.  (Or make
that program use a different port.  Or make rpcapd use a different port
-- see its command-line options for how to do that.)