[Winpcap-users] Can't capture 802.11 management frame

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jun 19 14:47:15 PDT 2009

On Jun 19, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Wei Gao wrote:

> Just to add. We also used another tool proving that the NDIS driver
> did send up management frames, so are kinda sure that the management
> frame is tossed out somewhere by winpcap in our case.

Presumably you're running on Vista, Windows Server 2008, a Windows 7
beta, or possibly Windows XP with a recent enough service pack, so
that you have the Native 802.11 support:

If so, then, if I remember correctly, the problem is that the WinPcap
driver is an NDIS 5 driver, not an NDIS 6 driver, and doesn't support
the calls required to capture in monitor mode: